Friday, January 11, 2008

I think God is trying to tell me something

I've been reading in I Kings the last couple of weeks or so. I just have been so amazed at how much I've forgotten over the years. I've spent so much time in the New Testament and Psalms, that I forget about the treasures that are there in the Old Testament.
Anyway, I was reading in I Kings 12. King Solomon had just died and his son Rehoboam had just taken the throne. The Northern Tribes of Israel had just approached the King and basically pledged their support to him if he would lighten up their load a bit. Rehoboam then called his fathers counselors around him and asked them what he should do. They said ... " If you will be a servant to these people today, will serve them, grant their words to them, then they will be their servants forever..." Verse 8 says this... " But he forsook the counsel of the elders had given him and consulted with the young men who grew up with him and served him..." Ultimately, this was a VERY BAD decision for old King Rehoboam.
This goes along with what I've been learning about aging. I think to often we, or at least I do, seek advice from my peers, when there is a huge, vast store of wisdom from women who have walked ahead of me. I love my friends, don't get me wrong. Their input is SO valuable to me. I know that God has lessons for me to learn that can only be gleaned from those who are farther along on this journey.
God has given me a very practical way to do that coming up at a women's retreat from my church. I had signed up with a friend of mine. We were planning on staying in a room with two older women from our church. I was excited about this. Yesterday, my friend called and told me that some other people had shifted her out of our room without asking her, and moved her into their room. In addition, another woman had taken her place in our room. So, this leaves me in a room with 3 women that are 65 or over. At first I was tempted to be disgruntled. I don't want to miss out on what all the "fun young" people are doing. Then I read the passage in I Kings this morning and realized I have a chance to be in a room with people who have "been there...done that." I can utilize this time and learn, learn, learn~! God is sovereign...I'm excited to see what he will do.

3 comments:

Dina said...

That was AWESOME. I hear ya. it's true. we often don't seek wisdom of elders. you absoultly taught me something HUGE today. I can also share that with others. I was a devotional book I have and was guided to read 1 Corin. 3;3. and it JUST SPOKE TO ME. Thanks for all the sharing you do.

Paige said...

You won't be disappointed in your room mates or your choice to seek the wisdom of those who have been in the journey longer. I have been blessed with several women, who have "Been there and done that". God uses them in my life to be His voice at times, gently leading me back to the cross, even when I would rather run and hide. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I finally found out how to make your blog one that I can subscribe to as a feed. On your settings, click on Site Feed, then Allow Blog Feeds "Full".....I'd love to know when you post!!!