Thursday, January 10, 2008

Aging

So, I was out having coffee the other morning. I sat there by myself (ahh..to have more moments like that...) and I was observing the people around me. There was a group of "old" men, sitting around solving the worlds problems. There was also another group of "older" women sitting around smiling and laughing. It got me thinking about aging. I pondered on the thought that there are typically two types of older women. There are those women who as they get older fall more in love with Jesus and seem to be a magnet for others. Then there are those who become bitter, snitty and seem to repel others.






I realize though, that bitter old women, did not just wake up that way when they reached 70. They probably exhibited some of those same traits as a "20 something". Bitterness does not age well. Yet, those older women who seem to grow in strength and dignity...those who radiate Christ..they were probably seeking Him and serving Him as a 20 something. Both sets of women probably faced trials and suffered loss. I believe that the first category of women learned to live in grace. I can imagine that the second category of women did not. I wholeheartedly desire to be in the first category.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Hi! I found you through Rachel.

I agree so much with you on this! I always say I want to grow wise, but not old! I want laugh lines and not crow's feet. I want to be an encourager and you just can't be that if you're bitter. So I pray we will all grow in grace and wisdom into the beautiful ladies of wisdom and grace that we so want to be!