Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Life Lessons from Amy Grant

So, many of my life lessons are wrapped up in Amy Grant songs. Today's is no different. The song that was brought out of the archives into my head was the song..."All I Ever Have To Be". This early 80's song has had a profound impact on me through the years. For most of my life I've been an "in between" kind of a person. What I mean is, I don't necessarily fit into a certain group, a certain class, a certain bracket if you will. In High School, I floated between groups, same with college and my 20's . I had friends in all sorts of groups, yet was not really categorized myself. Most of the time I've been fine with that. Yet, throughout the years, I have had moments (or days...) where I wondered where I really fit. Do I really "belong" anywhere? As I look back I see my life has been enriched with deep friendships that were formed regardless of classifications or social structure. I have life long friendships from people in almost every group imaginable. When I look at it that way, the truth is revealed to me. It matters little what group, it's all about the heart. It's all about Gods design for relationships. He is not bound by social class or appearance.

So, on those days when I am struggling, looking for my "place", I am reminded of this Amy Grant song, the lyrics point me back to where I need to be....

When the weight of all my dreams,
Is resting heavy on my head
And the thoughtful words, of help and hope
Have all been nicely said,

But I'm still hurting, wondering if I'll ever be the one, I think I am...

Then you gently re-remind me,
That you made me from the first,
And the more I try to be the best,
The more I get the worst
And I realize the good in me
Is only there because of who you are...

And All I ever have to be is what you made me
Any more or less would be a step out of your plan
As you daily re-create me help me always keep in mind
That I only have to do what I can find...


And all I ever have to be...
All I have to be...
All I ever have to be
Is what you made...me!

No comments: