Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Earaches and Advil


Caleb is sick, and has spent the last 4 hours crying. More like being completely hysterical and writhing in pain on the floor. His ear hurts. At least I think that is what's wrong. I gave him some more advil about 30 minutes ago, and I think he finally went to sleep. I'm exhausted. My house is a mess, and now it's Nathan's turn to eat. Don't get me wrong, I love being a Mom. Yet on days like today...I'm frazzled and tired of having somebody "on" me all day.

However, I know that "this too shall pass". There will come a day when my boys are taller than me and I can't cradle them in my arms. There will come a day when the pain they have can't be fixed with advil and a rocking chair. I can't keep them from growing up, and I can't protect them from future heartache. Yet, I can pray. I can pray for each of my children as they grow and mature. I can pray that when advil and a hug aren't enough, that God will heal their hurts. He will be with them and guide them long after I am gone.

So, Father, in the midst of my exhaustion and my feelings of helplessness as I watch my son writhe in pain...I give him to you. Keep me patient and tenderhearted as I do my best to comfort and protect. Let me be an example of you as I hold my child against me. May he someday turn to you when life hurts...may he turn to you for every need. May he learn to depend on you....

No comments: