Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bagels, PJ's and an Old Friend

I sit here in my living room....it's a mess. I so remember when I was the only one who made a mess. Now I have two little tornados who can dump over a load of folded laundry and dump out more toys than I knew we had within their first 5 minutes of conciousness each morning! ( I have three children, but Nate only dirities laundry at this point...)

I was reminiscing this morning of my single days. Don't get me wrong, I obviously love my husband and boys...but I have some great memories of my "single days". Some of my best memories are of the times I had with my freind/roomate...Ann. This morning...I am thankful for my friendship with her.

Ann and I met in middle school. We were in the same cabin at "Camp Forest Springs", a great Christian Camp in Wisconsin. After that week at camp, we both went our seperate ways. A few short years later, we re-connected at Freshmen Orientation at Moody Bible Institute. We had both chosen to attend the same college! During our time at Moody we were in "Chorale" (one of the vocal music groups) together. We had a great time. We graduated in the Spring of 1993. Again, we went our seperate ways. She moved back to Wisconsin and I returned to Colorado. Two years later, we were both in need of change. I had gone through a broken engagement and was living at home with my parents...she was working at a small Christian school and living at home with her folks. She tossed out the idea of moving to Denver....I was more than excited.

She moved to Denver the summer of 1995. We moved into our first apartment. It was a small two bedroom treasure. Our balcony had a great view of the mountains...(you had to look past the junk yard of smushed cars, but you could see the mountains none the less). We continued to be roommates for the next 5 years. (minus my one year running the girls home in downtown) We have countless stories and so many fun memories.

I am so greatful for her continued frienship. She moved to Minneapolis the same summer I got married and moved to Arkansas. Since then, our visits have been few and far between. But we burn up the phone lines and keep each other up to date on the happenings in our lives. I'm greatful for the comfort of an "old freind". She really "knows" me. She has been there through the good and the bad and our friendship has stood the test of time (22 years and counting!)

There are mornings like this, where I miss her. Mornings where we would look at each other and say "It's a bagel morning". I can't tell you the number of times we sat at Einsteins Bagel company in our flannel PJ bottoms, sweatshirts and ball caps. We would talk about life, about the Lord...and man could we laugh!

I'm greatful for Ann...

No comments: