Sunday, January 7, 2007

The End of an Era

6:15 am...the phone was ringing.... That can never be good. It was Monty. He was on his way to Oklahoma City for National Guard duty. Our trusty little red car had died. This in and of itself would be enough to frustrate anyone. The hard part was that we had just spent $700 to fix it the day before. UGH.

So, I got up and quickly pulled myself together. I called the neighbor's and one of their girls came over to stay with the boys. I hopped in the car and went to rescue my husband. On the drive up, I was trying to think of what I could be thankful for in the midst of this situation. I was grateful that it had happened early in the morning, with no traffic. Selfishly, I was grateful that it was him (not me and the boys) stranded on the road. I was grateful that Monty was not hurt.

I found a very cold Monty, dressed in full uniform, waiting patiently inside the now useless car. The question we had now was...what to do with the car. We drove into the nearest town. (a small town that bore a frightening resemblance to the town of Radiator Springs in the movie "Cars". It was even on rt 66, frightening huh!?) We found a small car dealership that appeared to be the only place in town that was open. They gave us the name of a salvage yard/ tow truck operator. We called him, he met us at the dealership. He agreed to tow the car to his salvage yard for free. Thus ends the geo prism era of the Johnsons.

So, now we sit in need of a new car. I know that God had supplied all our needs in the past. He will continue to do so in the future. I was grateful for Monty's level head in the midst of everything. I was really angry .... "Why would God let us fix the car, if He knew it would just blow up the next day...? Monty's response..." Well, it's God's money anyway. If this is how He wanted to spend His money...then so be it". I was not so easily pacified in the moment. But, his response made me settle down and admit he was right. God is in control. He does have our best interests at heart, and for that I am grateful!

1 comment:

Kacey said...

All of these lovely blogs have inspired me. Greatly inspired me