Monday, November 19, 2007

Chi-Omega Letter


I had the privilege of writing a letter for Mary Zanes Sorority. Each Senior girl's parents write a letter to their daughter, this letter is read aloud to the entire sorority as a way to honor each seniors accomplishments etc. I was very humbled and grateful to be able to write her letter. I wanted to share it with you all....


My Dear Mary Zane,

I know that if your Dad were able to write this letter, he would tell you how proud he is of you. He would tell you how much he loves you. He would tenderly tell you how much he believes in you and would watch with amazement as his little girl finishes up this chapter of her life. (We both know that of course he wouldn't be able to say it, because he’d be crying to hard.) That being said, I need you to know that I count it an amazing privilege to be able to write this letter in his stead.

Mary Zane, you are the daughter that God gave to me, not by birth, but by His Grace. You need to know that I love you more than words can ever describe. I am so proud of you. It was so much fun watching you grow up. You brought me so much joy. I’ve always loved spending time with you. I saw in you tenderness for the things of God at such an early age. Your faith has always been such an integral part of who you are.

Through the last few years, God has knit us together through circumstances neither of us could have ever imagined. You and I have walked through some pretty deep valleys together. We’ve also had our share of incredibly funny moments that no one else would ever understand. We share a love of Chipotle and Starbucks. You’ve accepted and loved Monty, even if he “took me away from you…” You’ve loved my boys and have been “sissy” to them. You have a love for Christ and a love for life that is evident to all. You have allowed Jesus to reign in your life, even through the darkest of moments.

My prayer for you as you graduate, is not that God would clear your path of all obstacles, for we know that they are a part of his sovereign plan. My prayer is not for wealth or even “success” as the world would render. My prayer instead, is that you keep seeking his heart. My prayer is that in God’s grace and mercy that he would continue to bestow upon you a resilient spirit that has so marked you to the core. Resiliency is not simply just “bouncing back”, resiliency is the ability to stand firm and be steadfast throughout the days God has carved out for you. My prayer is that you will keep your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of your faith. My prayer is that you will run with perseverance the race that our loving heavenly Father has marked out for you. My prayer is that you find true contentment in whatever circumstance God places you. My prayer is that you will know that you are loved, that you are precious and you will forever be my one and only daughter.

I love you,
Connie

3 comments:

My Daily Circus said...

ok why do i sit here and cry when I dont' even know anything about her or what you guys have been thru! I am a sap and that letter was beautiful!

leigh ann said...

well. i've always known how much you love mary zane. this was a beautiful letter - a treasure for her. when i cry 1st thing in the morning, i usually cry all day. so i'll go get my tissues now.

i love what you said about resiliency. SO true. and it applies to our lives as well. standing firm whatever blows in. and we do know that things blow in!

love you connie.

Keri said...

Connie has done it again, the tears flow. And what a privelage it is for me to know Mary Zane and watch you guys interact, even if just for short moments - I love watching your relationship!!! Love you