Sunday, April 27, 2008

Playlands

Being a Mother of 3 boys gives me a unique perspective on life. Boys are a strange breed. The need to climb, run, jump and explore are an absolute necessity to their survival. I have grown accustomed to them jumping off the arms of my couches, climbing trees and scaling door frames.
I am not grossed out by the toads and worms they seem to always find in the backyard. I don't balk at them getting dirty and muddy. It's just part of the package.

When the weather is rainy, or it's to cold to go outside, I've often resorted to taking them to a fast food restaurant with a play land to "get some wiggles out". It is here that I am faced with a dilemma. The dilemma is based around the slide. My boys love the slide. They go down it with gusto and climb it with ease. Sometimes they climb up the stairs and go down, other times they climb up the inside of the slide. There have been times when, a mother (most likely a mother of girls...no offense to my friends who only have daughters) absolutely insists on their child going down the slide the "right" way. I can only assume that means going up the stairs and down the slide in that order. Several Mothers have looked sideways at me while explaining to their child just loud enough for me to hear that "We never go up the slide, that's not the right way to do that".
I do insist on my boys being courteous, watching out for "littler" kids, no pushing or being rude. But I absolutely will let them climb and run and play. It's a PLAY land. Is there really a rule book for proper slide etiquette? If so, I've obviously misplaced it.




3 comments:

Christie said...

I think the issue is that it is dangerous for them to meet in the middle. So, as long as my kids are the only ones in there, they can go up or down the slide. Once other kids arrive, it is down the slide all the time. That's my rule of thumb. Happy playing!

Jill said...

I'm impressed that you took your camera to the playland. :) I'm assuming its McDonald's...it looks just like the one by us. The only thing that I don't like about playlands are the germs that I know are living up in there with the fossilized chicken nuggets and fries -- but even as the mother of two girls I love playlands...especially in rainy and snowy weather when the backyard isn't an option :)

shanna said...

I have 3 boys...and they not only climb up the slikde but onthe outside of the enclosed part of the slide...and on top of the shoe bin...and get behind the place that is used for storage...they are everywhere...but they are boys...as long as they are not being rude or disrespectful I let them be boys...and try not to be more concerned with man's opinion as I am letting them be wild at heart the way God created them to be :) I am proud of you! Sounds like you will have warriors for Him one day!