Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Seeds

I don't enjoy gardening. I never have. I hear people talk about "loving" the smell of the earth and finding in gardening a great sense of stress relief. I on the other hand detest gardening. I find it annoying and time consuming. I don't like pulling weeds, and I feel like I'm wasting money when I water the lawn.
However, in a great twist of irony, I have a child who is absolutely fascinated with plants and watching things grow. So, last week JD and I went to Lowes, and purchased a small green house geared for children. We dutifully planted the seeds and carefully set them in the window. Wouldn't you know it...they grew. In the process, I've become strangely excited about seeing if they will actually survive and eventually bloom.

As a mother, I have the priviledge and responsibilty to sow seeds in my childrens lives. Everyday God gives me opportunities to tell my children about Him. Everyday I have the oppourtunity to live a life in front of them that reflects Christ. I know that ultimately, like the seeds JD and I have planted, it's God who is responsible for the growth. Each of my boys will have to stand on thier own before God. My prayer is that I will faithfully sow seeds of truth and tend to the tender shoots of growth while I have them in my care. My hope as a Mother is that when the harvest comes, that these three boys will be Godly men sowing seeds for the next generation.

3 comments:

My Daily Circus said...

i hear ya, i maybe was scarred for life as a teen pulling weeds in the fields all stinking summer long. Gardening is not anywhere close to stress relief!

Alysa said...

fantastic post - it is such a responsibility to sow seeds of Truth to our kids... God is so good to give us these little ones to bring them up to love Him. Praying that you are delighted by the new life of the seeds you planted with JD - i'll be curious to see the end product - the beautiful flowers!

Unknown said...

Beautifully written. I tend to get a lot of analogies when it comes to any kind of gardening....the most recent one was if you don't get the weed by the root, you pulling in vain. Get the sin where it starts to deal with it. I like how you put that daily you have opportunities to plant seeds in your childrens lives.