Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Smiling at the future....


Today I got an email from a friend of mine who's husband has been on active duty with the army and he's now pursuing the chaplaincy as well. I had emailed her and asked her what military life was like and how I should prepare....Here is a glimpse of her answer...



Hi Connie......... To address your question
about how much hubby will be gone that will depend on what kind of base you are on (training, schooling, deployable, etc).
You just have to prepare yourself for alot of time a part and with the current world situation at least a year gone out of every three and thats being
generous.
Currently our chaplains will be deployed more since there is a shortage, just looking at the fact that there is less than 9% deployable because the other 91% were just deployed in the army reserve sector will give you an idea how much there are needed in the field. I'm not trying to scare you, you'll have alot of support from
those around you because most will be in the same situation and knowing to that this is what God has called your family too He will allow you to thrive in that situation (although bad days are expected)...


After reading this...I got scared. It was as if a wave of the reality of what we are heading towards hit me full force. I started to cry. Inside I was asking ..."Lord, can I really do this?" "Lord, I don't know that I'm cut out for this..." "Lord, I don't want to raise my boys alone..." "Lord, I don't want to be one of those wives weeping over a flag draped coffin...." I was falling apart, starting to spiral....then the phone rang.

I wiped my eyes...took a breath and answered the phone. On the other end I heard my friend Tonia's voice. She had been having her quiet time and the Lord had laid me on her heart. She proceeded to tell me that God had given her a specific verse that she was to share with me.

This was the verse...
" Do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" Isaiah 4:10

It's a verse I've had memorized since I was a small child. It's a verse I have quoted to myself and others many times. Yet God knew I needed it...today...at that very moment. He calmed my fears. He made me realize that though I may not me strong...He will be my strength. On those days when I cannot stand...He is the one who is holding me in his hand. His righteous right hand.

Through Him I can face the unknowns in our future. Through his strength I can be like the woman described in Proverbs 31..."She walks in strength and dignity..and she smiles at the future..."

No comments: